As a choir director, you've no doubt asked yourself "What steps can I take toward improving my church choir?" The answer begins within...
1. Schedule time to be present in God’s presence. God’s presence is everywhere but often we are unaware of the opportunity we have to activate His presence by our praise. That means we have to choose to focus our attention on Him and not our circumstances and surroundings. Whether you are a worship leader, pastor, church member or a worshiper this is an important step in your journey with Christ. Although there are many ways to accomplish this, consider taking a walk without your phone or electronics. Start by giving thanks. Singing a song. Or, just talk to the Lord. It’s amazing how this time can become a favorite part of your day.
2. Read God’s Word. This sounds like such a no brainer but it’s one that is most easily pushed aside for so many people. I’ve heard some say, “I’m not a reader”. Others say they fall asleep whenever they start reading. Most are unsure why their Bible stays dusty on a shelf. Whatever the reason, this step is one that serves as a map to help us find our way. Take a step today toward reading His Word. It will serve as sustenance to your every day.
3. Pray! We’ve all heard that prayer changes things. It does! This step is an incredible opportunity to build a relationship through communicating with your Father. There’s something incredible about praying and watching God provide and answer our prayers. Even when it seems you don’t know what to pray there’s always something to thank Him for. Start with that. After a while you’ll find your prayers growing into more meaningful moments and you’ll never look back.
Q: How to grow my church choir? A: Begin by growing my relationship with the Object of my worship!
--For more helpful articles about church music and worship service planning, check out www.discoverworship.com and these articles:
- The Critical Importance of Church Choirs
- Improving Your Choir by Building the Blend
- 5 Things to Remember for Your Choir Rehearsal
- What's Better: Traditional Church Choir or Worship Team?
- 3 Ways to Cultivate Spirit-Led Worship
- Is There One Best Way to Format a Worship Set?
- How Often Should We Introduce New Congregational Worship Songs?
- Leading Worship Through Song List Curation
- 5 Tips to Grow Your Church Choir
- The Wrong Key (and How to Find the Right One!)
- Is It Too Loud? (Accompaniment vs. Worship Emersion Culture)
- Eight Simple Hacks to Help Last Minute Choir Music Panic